Friday, August 14, 2009

1940s House - Imperial War Museum


I've just re-found these photographs and postcards from our trip to London and the Imperial War Museum. My favourite exhibit was the 1940s House - which is a reconstruction over two floors of a real house during the War. I really love the peach colours in the bedrooms which reminded me of a satin bedspread my Grannie had on her bed. I might have to make a trip to town to buy some dye to get this effect myself! I also went a bit mad in the Museum shop and bought up all these instructional postcards - these designs are really amazing and love the little excited Potato Pete!

4 comments:

Clare said...

Oh that reminds me so much of my grandparents' house too! It never occured to me that the Imperial War museum would have stuff about the home front to. Maybe I shall go for a visit!

Mandy said...

Oh what lovely photos. I love the house. I would love mine to be like that (but with modern day things like dishwasher, washing machine etc) cheating I know but hey! LOL

Gillian said...

The IW Museum is definitely worth a visit for this exhibit alone! And I agree - I really would not fancy using some of those implements to wash my clothes! Dishwashers are a must too;) G

Cathy said...

What a lovely place you have moved to Gillian. Lucky old you. I hope you enjoy your new home and quickly settle in. Those old house photos are really interesting. We have a huge farm complex nearby where they rebuild old threatened buildings in great detail and they have a 1950's prefab which is just amazing. It brought back so many memories to my parents. Even I recognised a lot of the stuff.