Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lovehearts Ikea BEKVÄM Step Stool

I always planned to paint the BEKVÄM Step Stool I bought before Christmas and finally got out the paint roller last week! I painted all the components before assembly - if you have put anything from Ikea together this is quite simple - even though I had lost the instructions and the online help seemed to be for a different version of the stool.
Halfway through I thought it might be a pity to cover up the lovely Aspen wood but once the Hearts Oilcloth was in place I was happy! I bought a metre of this for about 12 euros last Summer at Murphy Sheehy in Dublin. I only used a small amount for this project and stapled the cloth in place with a very cheap (and super dangerous) staple-gun from B&Q.
In the top photograph you can see Louis was helping me that day - and the gorgeous Spring flowers my friend brought me last week - the Hyacinths smell fantastic!

9 comments:

mise said...

That looks great! And very neatly done. The oilcloth is a good find.

jaboopee said...

looks fantastic, did you glue around the hole you had to cut out?

Paula @ Mabel & Violet said...

Brilliant job and love the oilcloth! I have two of these that I have planned to paint for the last six months but I wasn't sure that painting the steps would be a good idea because they would get so scuffed so quickly. I think you have just solved my dilemma with your oilcloth idea though...thank you!

lady noire said...

i love it,

Lavender hearts said...

how did you do the hole? it looks perfect!

Gillian said...

Hi everyone - thanks for all the comments! To answer your questions: I did not glue the oilcloth around the hand-hole - I did consider it but thought the rest of the cloth might buckle with wear if glued.
I just traced around the hole with a pencil and cut it out with my trusty Fiskars scissors - very sharp! G

Lulu said...

oooh what a lovely idea! i enjoy the hearts =]

http://postcardsfromdreamland.blogspot.com/

jaboopee said...

oops sorry about that up there...very bad spelling errors....thats great you didn't have to use glue ..it looks so tight i was sure you must have....do you have arms like popeye?

loladee said...

Looks great! Well done :) Love your blog. Nice to see a Corkonian producing some beautiful crafts :) Lorna x